About this job
Location options: Remote, Visa sponsor
Job type: Full-time
Experience level: Mid-Level, Senior, Manager
Industry: Computer Software, Education, SaaS
Company size: 51-200 people
Company type: Private
amazon-web-services, automation, bash, linux
Interfolio is on a mission to build smart, inspired and useful products for faculty and academic communities. By building an engine for faculty activity, decisions, and data, Interfolio has become the first mover in defining and owning the category of faculty-focused technology that cultivates goal-oriented collaboration around academic decision-making. Interfolio operates the first holistic faculty information system to support the full lifecycle of faculty work, from job seeking to review, tenure, sabbatical, committee work, research, and beyond. Offering colleges and universities increased clarity and insight into faculty data to help achieve their strategic initiatives, Interfolio believes that advancing the faculty will advance the institution.
What’s even better than that? We’ve crafted a fun, collegial, dynamic culture that celebrates team and individual success almost daily. We’ve got a lean team of super-smart, super-hard working, local and remote colleagues who collaborate closely to produce a valuable service for an industry we’re passionate about. And, we genuinely like working with each other and with our clients.
Like what you’ve heard so far? Then consider joining our Engineering team. The position of DevOps Engineer is open to remote employees as well as locals in commuting distance to our Washington, D.C. office. Candidates applying for this position must currently reside within the continental United States. Interfolio is committed to diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national, social or ethnic origin, age, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, family or parental status, or any status protected by the laws or regulations in locations where we operate.
About the Position As DevOps Engineer, you will own the reliability, performance, durability, and security of our cloud-native stack. The ideal candidate is an experienced DevOps engineer who enjoys creating automation and self-service tools to support the engineering teams' ability to rapidly ship high-quality products. You have a deep understanding of the AWS suite of services and are able to advise our architects which services to use for various use cases and implement those tools in the optimal ways.
- Monitor stack health for issues with reliability, performance, durability, and security, maintaining our zero-downtime standard
- Implement tooling across our AWS infrastructure and services to identify and remove bottlenecks
- Develop our infrastructure-as-code initiative to ensure all environmental changes are tested, audited, and reproducible across environments and stacks
- Implement Docker containers and container management to support out-of-the-box deployment of applications across environments
- Manage CI and CD tools in coordination with the software engineers
- Research and promote new DevOps tools to simplify processes and identify opportunities for improving existing processes or implementing new process automation
- Handle production and non-production support issues as they arise
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation
- Maintain and test Disaster Recovery procedures
- Manage penetration testing, vulnerability testing, and web application scanning
- Represent DevOps during design and development of software or extensive revisions to existing applications
- Support the sales team in completion of security & architecture questionnaires
- Organize, conduct and own follow-up action items for Root Cause Analysis meetings
Skill we're looking for
- Deep knowledge of AWS services, including EC2, ELB, Autoscaling, Lambda, RDS, S3, Route53
- Expertise with an automation framework such as Ansible, Chef, Salt, or Puppet
- Strong background in administering Linux/Unix and Windows, including Apache, Nginx, IIS, and LDAP
- Strong scripting skills (Bash, Python, Powershell) with the ability to develop ad hoc tools
- Knowledge of networking concepts (TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS)
- Experience with Infrastructure Monitoring using tools such as Datadog, NewRelic, etc
- Experience working with Jenkins or other build automation tools
In addition, you should have
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with Git and GitHub for version control
- Strong interest in higher education, startups, and/or SaaS technology
- Ability to speak and write fluently in English (as a minimum requirement)
In addition to a competitive salary, Interfolio offers a robust benefits package that includes medical insurance, unlimited PTO, a yearly wellness benefit stipend, a yearly professional development stipend, 401k, and professional development opportunities. Our culture sets us apart—we look forward sharing more about our company and our team!